Thursday, February 10, 2005

Kaante and other movies

I watched Kaante for the second time yesterday on CD (the first time was a couple of years ago).  As is known, this movie is a liberal lift from The Usual Suspects and Reservoir Dogs, but it is stylishly done and is entertaining.

It is directed by Sanjay Gupta, who recently made Musafir.  Comparing the two movies, I think the stylistic photographic tricks in Musafir were a bit more polished, whereas in Kaante they were a bit overused to the point that they became distracting.  Being a bit critical, I would say that the entire movie seemed a bit "rough around the edges", and I have strong complaints about two aspects of the movie in particular:

  • Practising firing guns on a rooftop especially when you've just been released from prison seems like a foolish thing to do.

  • After robbing a bank, walking out of the door with guns in hand, and then REMOVING your ski masks, to smile at each other seems odd.  Wouldn't it make more sense to do all that after having escaped in a getaway vehicle?


On the other hand, the movie did have some aspects that I appreciated, like the general slick look, and the emotional ending.  I am not comparing it with the end of Reservoir Dogs, but taken independently, it did have an impact on me.

I recently saw an interesting fact about this movie quoted on the Internet Movie Database forums.  One of the characters in the movie is named Detective McQuarrie, after Christopher McQuarrie, the writer of The Usual Suspects.

A couple of days before, I watched Blade Runner (the 1991 Director's Cut edition) for the third time.  I love this movie and use a quote from it as my email signature (Roy Batty's emotional dialogue at the end).  Speaking of Director's Cut editions of movies, I managed to watch the altered ending of The Butterfly Effect as well as an extra scene in the Director's Cut edition of that movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home