Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Blade Runner Drawing (Completed)

I finished the Blade Runner drawing I was working on.  After scanning it I touched it up a bit in Photoshop (added text and a bit of faint colour).

Here is a small version of the picture.  Click it to see a larger version of the drawing:

The drawing came out OK, I guess, but it's not my best.  When it comes to art, our eyes are trained to accept accurate representations of reality.  When a drawing has flaws, we immediately know that something is wrong, even though we may not be able to identify exactly what the flaws are.

I'm my own best critic, so I picked out the following flaws in the picture.  Next time I'll try to do better —
  • Harrison Ford's (Deckard's) and Sean Young's (Rachael's) faces have come out OK.  But Rutger Hauer's (Roy Batty's) face has not come out so well.
  • If I had a white pen, I could have experimented with adding some highlights to the image.  As it is now, the text "Off World" on the blimp at the bottom left had to be done by drawing an outline and colouring around it.
  • I don't like the way the buildings, etc. seem to be sticking out of Roy's head!  At the time, I actually couldn't figure out what to put in that blank space.
  • Rachael and Roy are both looking in the same direction.  I should have drawn Rachael looking the other way.
  • The Chinese girl's face is actually on a large, building-size screen.  That hasn't really come out well, and the perspective is not quite right in those elements of the image.

I think this is the first time I've analysed a drawing of mine closely.  Perhaps if I do that to earlier drawings I'll find all sorts of flaws!

Thanks to Mansi for her comments on the work-in-progress image I posted.

A drawing I want to do in the future: something related to Sin City.

1 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger WEKurtz said...

You have done a man's job, sir!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home