Monday, May 16, 2005

Happy Birthday to Me (May 15)

Yesterday (May 15) was my 23rd Birthday... thanks everyone who sent me mails, called up or posted scrapbook entries on orkut!  I also noticed that the counter on my site's main page crossed 50,000 yesterday.  Now that's only an indicative number (the counter would be incremented anytime the page is accessed, even by a search engine) but it feels good all the same.  Thanks to everyone who visits the site!

In the evening yesterday, we (myself and family) went to see Indian Idol stars Rahul Vaidya and Prajakta Shukre perform live.  The show was organised by Jain Social Group.  It was a great show overall.  We returned at around midnight, and after that I watched Blackadder: Back and Forth and later, True Romance for a second time.

Movies I've seen recently
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (10 May): Ever since Ganeshan gave me the book to read some years ago I've been wanting to see this.  A mysterious object (similar to one that arrived on earth thousands of years ago at the dawn of man) is discovered on the moon, sending signals to somewhere beyond Jupiter.  The crew of the ship Discovery undertake a voyage to investigate.  Fantastic photography and visual effects.  This is the second Stanley Kubrick movie I'm seeing (after The Shining some months ago), the next will be A Clockwork Orange, soon.
  • Cube Zero (11 May): Unlike Cube and Cube² which were entirely set inside a cube, this movie is set both inside and outside the structure.  Once again, a group of people are trapped in a cube, but now we get to see a couple of employees of the creators of the cube, one of whom wants to rescue a woman who has been trapped in it.  We find out a lot more about the cube, how it works, etc. but cleverly, not everything is answered.  Very good movie.
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (13 May): Yet another movie I've been waiting to see for a long time.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.  The opening, which has dolphins performing acrobatics with the song "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish" was awesome.  The basic story from the book — Earthman Arthur Dent and his friend Ford Prefect hitch a ride on a Vogon spaceship just as the Earth is destroyed, and then go on to have an adventure in our very large and interesting galaxy — has been retained, as are a lot of the good parts from the book, though there have been many changes made to make the story work better as a movie.  The movie is very fast paced and has very good effects.

I also watched Armageddon on TV on 13th.  This is the second time I'm seeing this movie.  I am well aware of the fact that there are people who hate this movie (and all Michael Bay movies in general), but I'm not one of them.  I loved this movie.

1 Comments:

At 10:15 PM, Blogger Abhishek Singh said...

Hey Karthik,

Many many happy returns for your belated B'day.

Sorry, but i didn't knew your birthdate. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home