Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Movies: Heat

All the packages I sent from Manipal arrived safely here today and I setup the computer I was using in Manipal again.  There are now two computers at home and I am thinking of networking them.

I read more than a thousand Calvin & Hobbes strips today.  I got a collection of these strips in PDF format (one file per year starting from 1985) from one of my friends at TAPMI.  Read the 1985, 86, 87 and most of 88 strips today.  Many of these I have read before, but they are awesome as always.

Finally finished watching Heat.  I watched the second CD this afternoon, and the third CD just got over.  The movie is about two men who are extremely good at what they do — Neil McCauley (Robert De Niro) is a professional criminal, and Vincent Hanna (Al Pacino) is a cop.  Hanna only lives for who he's going after, and therefore his personal life is a mess.  McCauley's policy is "never to get close to anything that he can't leave behind in thirty seconds when the heat's around the corner", however things change when he meets Eady (Amy Brenneman).  The movie explores these two characters and their personal lives, carries on with a thrilling bank robbery sequence, and then leads to Hanna's pursuit of McCauley.

Aside from the fact that it has an awesome cast (including also, Val Kilmer, Natalie Portman, etc.), what made Heat a standout movie for me was writer/director Michael Mann's superb characterisations (an extraordinary scene is the one where De Niro and Pacino's characters meet over coffee).  He goes into much detail on everything in the movie and though it's almost three hours long it was always interesting to watch.  I also liked Elliot Goldenthal's music score, which was subtle and effective (bank robbery sequence is an example).  Heat I would say is a must-watch movie.

Another very positive review of Sin City at Arrow in the Head.  Looking forward to this!

1 Comments:

At 2:37 AM, Blogger Arun R said...

so u r watching most of ur cds now!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home